Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thimbles









I have been collecting thimbles for most of my adult life. My sister Beth got me started by giving me a little porcelain thimble shaped like a hat. I loved it so much that I joined a Thimble Collector's Club like the Book of the Month Club. I got a lot of really great thimbles from around the world that way.

I finally decided that I needed to categorize them and take some pictures. There are groups of thimbles from all over Europe, the Scandinavian Countries, Asia, Native American, Stone, Cloisonne, mosaic, wooden, whimsical characters, statehood symbols, glass thimbles, flower patterns, butterfly patterns, antique silver and many many more. The only ones I don't collect are the cheap airport type thimbles. Here are just a few to look at.
 
The collection has grown bit by bit as friends bring me thimbles from their travels as well as ones I pick up. I am excited to look for some in Australia and New Zealand. Part of the fun in collecting them is the hunt. They are hard little devils to find!

I now have three huge glass domes and two smaller domes that hold the little gems. I guess the next thing to do is prepare written descriptions of each. Seems like a lot of trouble though for something that can't be replaced or no one else would want.

It is a great hobby because most thimbles run from 10-20$ although some like Waterford or Dresden run substantially more. They can pack very easily in a suitcase or purse. Each one tells a story. A great addition to The Adventures of a Retired Teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment