Saturday, July 24, 2010

Honningsvaag-The Top of the World


This small city was by far my favorite! The population is 2,575. It is located at 71 N and is the northernmost city in Norway. You might think it would be very cold and desolate, but you would be wrong. The day we were there it was rainy and about 46F but comfortable. Again we had no sunrise or sunset. Because the ocean is ice free, it is rich with fisheries. This is a great spot to see the Aurora Borealis. The phenomenon is typically seen between September and May when the darkness enhances the lights. Obviously, being there when there was not dark, we were going to miss this great site.

A few of the homes had cod-drying racks on the outside walls. I cannot imagine living like this. I am too much of a princess! I wanted you to have one last chance to see the dry cod! Should I send Dan over to install a drying rack?



One little boy,who I think was Sami, was showing us the crab tanks where they kept fresh catch. He put on these huge gloves and would hold out the crabs for the tourists. We gave him some of our Kroners~we have no idea the worth of these coins, but it seems like a good cause. He was so cute! Reminded me of my 3rd graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment