Friday, May 17, 2013

The Suitcase

Ugly but practical and durable!
Like the infamous "hat," I now have " the suitcase."  Dan and I have traveled enough now and it seems like with each trip, our reasonably priced suitcases are trashed by the airlines. No one wants to take responsibility for the damage either.

International travel has gotten super picky about the size and weight of suitcases too. The weight I understand--50lbs. But the length/width/height is now a consideration. I have a great 30" Samsonite as part of a lovely purple set that is ultimately 1 1/2 inches too big! And they measure!!

So, we header for a travel store called Bergner's in the local mall. I had never heard of it until just recently when I bought a new travel day pack. Of course what we liked, and what was the correct size, was outrageously expensive. The even worse part was we need 2 of them!! So Dan got the basic black and I got what they call "olive." Don't be fooled, it is puke green! But they are big and for our long cruises and travel they are the perfect size. Here is the best part: there is a lifetime guarantee to fix or replace any piece regardless of who has damaged the case. Now that guarantee is worth the extra right there. I think it is by Briggs and Riley and is huge inside. It isn't their super-lightweight line, but light enough. AND the bars for the handle are not inside the suitcase so it is easier to back. Of course I love the 4 wheel bottoms too. With that feature I am very self-sufficient managing my own luggage which makes things easier for Dan.

We also got a great little duffle by Eagle Creek that was on sale. It seems that on these trips we end up buying little (or not so little) souvigners and no room to get them home. Typically we do the best of our group. The last 2 trips we've been on people have actually gone and bought extra suitcases before heading home! LOL. So the little duffle can fit flat going over and be used as a carry-on on the return trip. If we need to use it fine and if not, no big deal. It will make a nice weekend bag too.

No comments:

Post a Comment