Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Not So Retired

This week has been very hectic with my support role in bringing along new schools to the K-2 GATE Nurturing Program. I have discovered a few things about myself...
I am used to having my time budgeted for me. School hours are very regimented. Even the after school meetings are structured. Curriculum is determined by state standards and everything is about test scores! I do NOT miss that.

Upon retirement, I have lots of unstructured time, but have lots of work to be done if I am to be a consultant that is actually helpful to others. I was far more organized while I was teaching than I am now. What is wrong with this picture? I was always known for my organizational abilities. I have to admit that a lot of that drive is dwindling away.
My Midwest vacation sort of cured that. I realized that:
I like slowing down.
I like reading whenever I like.
I like napping in the middle of the day.
I like going to the Y when all the other people are not there.
I like simmering soup all day long.
I like to say, "Well, not today, maybe tomorrow."
I like playing with Danny and Auggie.
I like having time to write and create.
I like having time to help out at church.
I like having time to help other teachers
I like sightseeing and traveling!
I like time with family.


I guess retirement isn't all that bad:)

No comments:

Post a Comment