Thursday, May 5, 2011

Being Prepared with Food Storage

We are taking a break from Israel right now. Trust me, I have many more pictures to share, but I thought I would share with you my new project...well, one of them anyway.

Dan and I have decided to invest in some long-term food planning storage. Basically we are making plans for a 3 month emergency supply of food as well as a 72 hour kit. The purpose is two fold. One, to be prepared in case of an emergency (i.e. earthquake) if we had limited access to food. Think about Japan. It took almost a month for food to become available in stores again. The 72 hour backpacks are just that-quick necessities that may be needed. We will keep these in the car.

The other value is if money becomes tight, we can use the food as supplement to what we would normally shop for. We have purchased things like powdered milk, powdered eggs, freeze dried fruits and vegetables, meats etc. My sister Beth has access to a canner machine. We put powdered eggs into cans and then seal them air tight. They are then good for years and years. You see my brother-in-law is working the canning machine. There are several great cookbooks out there that show how to use the food. I have tried some of it and it is really good! I was shocked! The shelf-life on most products is between 10-30 years. Hey, another 20 years and I'll be living in a home
anyway!

So, think about disruption to electricity/gas. How will you prepare your food? Do you have a battery/solar operated radio? Do you have candles, flashlights etc? Do you have enough water stored to keep hydrated, cook, bath etc.? Remember, one flush and the toilet is done!

It is a small investment that may never be needed, but it seems rather irresponsible not to be prepared if you live in an area prone to natural disasters. And let's face it, we will all be on some sort of limited income at some time. I can always use the food!

My biggest problem is where to put the stuff. It is all over the house now, so I will have to resolve that soon. The kids think we are nuts and so maybe do you. But, either they will come to us in an emergency and have food to eat or if they lose their jobs and have no food, they will come begging for food! Either way, we get to help out.

Mys sisters are doing this along with several of my friends here in SD. Think about it; you just never know. I know some people who have almost a year's supply! Hey, my 1200 sq. foot home won't accommodate that...We all think about putting an earthquake kit together after a big quake. How about preparing BEFORE a disaster. Even a 72 hour kit would be great-and it's portable. Just fill up a backpack. May emergency sites give you lists of what to put in a pack. Don't be stranded.

A good website to check out is www.honeyville.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment