Monday, September 28, 2009

BBQ Anyone?

One of the joys of retirement is time to meet with neighbors and BBQ. Sure we can all BBQ during the week...this is a Monday Night BBQ! I don't have to get up early, I don't have paper work to do tonight, and the stove won't get dirty! But best of all, my best friend and neighbor, Christa, and I get to spend time cooking together.

For years while our children were growing up we would cook and potluck together while our husbands were working. The kids got fed early, homework was done, and baths completed. Those are times I remember fondly. Christa and I both saved a lot of money by sharing the meals and had so much fun cooking old fashioned meals like mac/n cheese, tuna noodle casserole, pot roast, mashed potatoes and fried chicken. Man, our kids ate well!

Then it was off to the "career" and I had less and less time for those "let's cook dinner tonight" meals. Soon we only got together on occasional weekends.No we are down to the neighborhood pot lucks that welcome and wave goodbye to the tourists.

So tonight is the night to BBQ some pollo asada. Cocktails while grilling, stories of aging ailments, and updates on our grown children. Speaking of grown children, I think one will be "dropping by" for a free meal at moms house. Oh...hear the husband's car rolling in, so I better close. Food is just about ready and it is time for another beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment